Friday, March 23, 2012

Moroccan Wedding Blankets

Good morning, friends!  :-)  And Happy Friday to you!

I hope you all are gearing up for a fabulous kick-off to the weekend.  My husband and I are spending the weekend at his parents' house so that we can dog-sit.  I am looking forward to cooking up a meal or two in that gorgeous kitchen, and getting some things crossed off my to-do list (things are piling up, and I hate that!).  I will be blogging all weekend, so you'll hear lots from me!

I first came across Moroccan Wedding Blankets while reading Design*Sponge at Home by Grace Bonney.  These blankets are so beautiful, and I just knew that I had to share some inspiring decorated spaces using these lovelies.

These shaggy, sequined blankets, known as handira, have important symbolic value to Berbers, an indigenous people of North Africa, who create them as part of their wedding ceremonies.  The bride-to-be and her family spend weeks weaving the sheep's wool blankets and hand-stitching thousands of flat-sequined "mirrors" onto them.  When finished, handiras are believed to have talismanic powers, bringing good luck to a marriage and offering protection.
        -Grace Bonney, Design*Sponge at Home


Just a little bit of history for ya.  ;-)

I love this blanket, sitting atop a bed, amidst a room full of girly frilliness.  That wallpaper is gorgeous, right?

Just look at the beautiful sequins!

This Wedding Blanket actually acts as a bath mat in a luxurious and elegant bathroom.

This Blanket serves its purpose as a rug underneath a dining room table in a room decorated with lovely modern glamour.

A shabby chic bedroom gets a touch of sparkle with the addition of the beautiful Blanket on the bed.

Twin beds obtain a touch of difference with the varying patterns on these Wedding Blankets.  Adorned with matching pillows, these spreads look perfect together without total similarity.

Sweet and sophisticated.

I love the differing patterns of the Moroccan Wedding Blanket and the animal-print bench at the foot of the bed.  So interesting.

What do you think of these Blankets?  Would you use them in your home?

love, maria

6 comments:

  1. Maria,

    I wanted to stop by and say thank you so much for your lovely comment about my blog on Southern Hospitality!

    And those blankets are too glam for me! Plus my dog would treat it as his very own sleeping blanket ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! ;-) You are so welcome -- I visit your blog daily!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous blankets. I've got to dig into my Design* Sponge at Home book some more. I missed these the first time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that book so much! I am in the process of reading it cover-to-cover! :-)

      Delete
  3. I have come across these beautiful blankets a while ago and would love to use them in my home. My only wish is if are more affordable. :)

    Lovely inspirations.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a lovely weekend!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean -- they are quite expensive! You have a lovely weekend too!

      Delete

Leave a thought!